This 2016, the New Kuwait Labor Law will take affect according to Public Authority for Manpower (PAM). The contract has new set of guidelines that will regulate sponsor-worker relations in the private sector.
Specifics of the New Kuwait Labor Law include;
- Subject for renewal with approval of both sponsor and employer
- 100 day probation period which the contract could be terminated by either side without prior notice.
- Eight (8) hours work limit with one (1) hour break.
- Monthly payment cannot be reduced during the contract period, which may be up to five (5) years.
- Fully paid annual leave for at least nine (9) months in the first year.
- Mandatory act by the sponsor to pay the expenses of a returning worker to his / her country on concluding the contract and departing Kuwait.
- Mandatory act of the employer to pay the worker’s health insurance, ensure his / her safety from work hazards and give labor indemnity.
- Defines the laws and courts applicable in case of disputes.
- Arabic is the reference language in case of legal disputes.
- Includes a preliminary clause that defines both parties, the job a worker is hired to do in Kuwait, and both sides’ capacities.
- Allows the possibility of adding special clauses.
- Obliges the employer to make three copies of the contract – one for each party and one to be deposited with the manpower authority.
Source : Staffing Industry