Below are lists of Functions and Special Services of Public Employment Service Office (PESO)
The Public Employment Service Office (PESO) has various and important functions like the following;
1. Encourages as many employers as possible to regularly submit to the nearest PESO their list of job vacancies in order to facilitate exchange of labor market information and match making applicants, both for local and overseas employment.
2. Provides recruitment assistance to employers and occupational counseling and for applicants for both local and overseas employment.
3. Becomes a venue for developing mass motivation, career guidance, administering and evaluation center for effective job selection and training.
4. Provides opportunities and referrals for business minded people through self-employment and livelihood programs offered by government, non-government organizations (NGOs) in the barangay, municipal, city and provincial levels.
5. Coordinates with Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) to conduct enhancement trainings / seminars for job applicants as well as those who want to level up their employability.
6. Provides reintegration assistance services to returning Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs).
PESO also has the following special services, generally;
1. Job Fairs – are conducted as scheduled nationwide in order to match employers and job applicants almost immediately.
2. Livelihood Programs – popular in rural areas wherein clients / community folks can choose from many programs in accordance with their skill.
3. Special Credit Assistance for Placed Overseas Workers – assists under privileged but qualified applicants to avail of opportunities for overseas employment.
4. Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) – this program allows deserving students to be employed during summer and / or Christmas vacations in different community based jobs as provided for under Republic Act No. 7323 and its implementing rules. SPES grantees are also able to continue their education.
5. Work Appreciation Program (WAP) – enables to develop the values of work appreciation and ethics by exposing the youth to actual work situations.
6. Workers Hiring for Infrastructure Projects (WHIP) – under Republic Act No. 6685, construction companies, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and other contractors for government-funded infrastructure projects, to hire thirty percent (30%) of skilled and fifty percent (50%) of unskilled labor requirements from the areas where the project is constructed / located.
7. Other programs / activities developed by DOLE to enhance provision of employment assistance to PESO clients, particularly for special groups of disadvantaged workers such as persons with disabilities (PWDs) and displaced workers.
– PESO and its significant meaning.